Google

Mangoes: Three Varieties to Enjoy

Mango is one of my favorite fruits. I never fail to pick up a few green and ripe pieces whenever I'm in a grocer's store. Some of the world's top mango-producing countries have not stopped in trying to outdo each other, not only in terms of the volume of mangoes that they export to other countries but also in the quality of the mangoes that they breed or produce.

Because of my passion for mangoes, I'm sure I've partaken of many different varieties. Of these, three stand out as probably the best I've tasted thus far. Those who enjoy eating mangoes a lot like I do would most likely agree with my choices. For those who are not so fond of mangoes, here are the three varieties I like best which I recommend just the same.

On top of my list is the Peach Mango variety from Australia (also known as the R2E2 variety). Round in shape, this is one of the biggest varieties I've seen. One piece may weigh as much as 3 pounds. Interestingly, the fruits that remain to be harvested which are directly exposed to the sun develop a slight suffusing pink shade. When sliced or opened, though, they reveal an orange-colored flesh that looks firm. Unlike many of the other varieties that I've tasted, this one doesn't have any turpentine taste. Because of the size and consistency of the flesh of this variety, it makes it ideal for the ripe fruit to be cut using the "hedgehog" method (or cubed) and then used in fruit salad.

Next on my list is the Golden Queen variety from Taiwan (local name: Gin Hwan). This mango variety approximates the Peach Mango in terms of its average size and weight per piece. Eaten green or ripe, this fruit tastes great. Even the semi-mature fruit already tastes more sweet than sour. It isn't surprising, therefore, that the ripe fruit is succulent and tastes very sweet.

The the third variety that I also really enjoy eating is the Carabao variety from the Philippines (known worldwide as the Manila Super Mango). This variety is not readily available in the produce section of most grocery stores in the U.S. The ones we find labeled "Philippine mangoes" actually come from Mexico. The fruit variety from the Philippines is touted to be the best-tasting Carabao variety in the world. Its shape is somewhat similar to that of the Golden Queen variety except that it is much smaller in size. It has a distinctly rich, non-turpentine taste, has scant fiber, and is believed to have a high nutritional value. When ripened properly, it has an excellent sweet taste.

If pressed to extend my choices to five, I would readily include the Haden variety from Australia (which actually originated in Florida) and the Alphonso variety from India. The former is oval-shaped, weighs to about 1.5 pounds per fruit, and has a rich and sweet, though slightly turpentine, taste, while the latter (widely known as the King of Mangoes) is appreciated by many for its very sweet taste, though admittedly is a bit more expensive than the other varieties. I encourage those who don't dote much on mangoes to try these varieties and find out for themselves why I'm such a mango fanatic. [Read the Original Article]

No comments:

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape